I’ve never built before, where do I start?
Start by giving us a call, with more than 30 years of experience in the building industry. You can trust us to give you the best advice and to guide you through the entire building process.
At what stage do I involve a builder?
It always pays to get your builder involved early. Simple advice from Matthew when making critical decisions like choosing a section, architectural style, plans and building materials can save a lot of hassle later on.
Do I need a building consent?
- If you are carrying out building work you may need to apply for a building consent.
- Here are some examples of work that requires consent:
- Any structural building including new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds), and re-piling
- Plumbing and drainage
- Heating (fireplaces), ventilation and air conditioning systems
- Siteworks for a building
- Retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres, or retaining walls with a building or driveway near the top
- Fences higher than 2.5 metres and any swimming pool fence
- Swimming pools
- Decks more than 1.5 metres from ground level
How can I keep the building project within my budget?
We recommend entering into a full building contract which will enable you to know exactly what the cost will be and what you will get.
How do we pay for the building project?
You pay on a progress payment system as detailed in your building agreement. One advantage of full contract is you only need to make payments to one company and payments are made at specific stages of the project. When you receive a written contract quote, we will provide you with a payment schedule and also a construction schedule so you know what to expect and when to expect it.
Can I make changes during the building project?
We welcome you to make any changes you would like to enhance your home. Any requests by yourselves incurring extra labour and/or material costs will be treated as a variation to the contract. All variations will be costed and presented to you for approval authorising the builder to carry out these changes before any such works can be started.
Will the construction site be safe?
We will always endeavour to keep our construction sites safe and clean. We are members of Hazardco and will provide you with a safety information pack at the beginning of the building programme.